Obviously, this election year is very important as it includes the Presidential election. However, there are still Senate and House of Representative elections going on that are worth your attention. Below is a comprehensive list of what will be on the Mississippi Ballot this November, along with a link to a sample 2020 ballot for Mississippi. Be sure to do your research on each candidate before you vote, and choose the candidate that best serves your beliefs!
Out of state students can check their ballots and information here: State by State Voting Guide
How do I research candidates?
Here are several nonpartisan resources for information on these candidates:
Other resources include:
- Candidate websites
- Political party websites
- Issue-based policy groups
- Local newspapers or media outlets
- Joseph Biden, with Kamala Harris as VP – Democrat
- Donald Trump, with Michael Pence as VP – Republican
- Don Blankenship, with William Mohr as VP – American Constitution
- Brian Carroll, with Amar Patel as VP – American Solidarity
- Phil Collins, with Bill Parker as VP – Independent
- Howie Hawkins, with Angela Nicola Walker as VP – Green
- Jo Jorgensen, with Jeremy “Spike” Cohen as VP – Libertarian
- Brock Pierce, with Karla Ballard as VP – Independent
- Kanye West, with Michelle Tidball as VP – Independent
- Mike Espy – Democrat
- Cindy Hyde-Smith – Republican
- Jimmy L. Edwards – Libertarian
U.S. House of Representatives:
1st Congressional District
- Antonia Eliason – Democrat
- Trent Kelly – Republican
2nd Congressional District
- Brian Flowers – Republican
- Bennie G. Thompson – Democrat
3rd Congressional District
- Dorothy Dot Benford – Democrat
- Michael Guest – Republican
4th Congressional District
- Steven M. Palazzo – Republican
NONPARTISAN JUDICIAL ELECTION for Supreme Court Justice
District 1, Position 1
- Kenny Griffis – Nonpartisan
- Latrice Westbrooks – Nonpartisan
District 1, Position 2
- Leslie D. King – Nonpartisan
District 2, Position 2
- Mike Randolph – Nonpartisan
District 3, Position 3
- Josiah Dennis Coleman – Nonpartisan
- Percy L. Lynchard – Nonpartisan
SPECIAL NONPARTISAN JUDICIAL ELECTION for Circuit Court Judge
District 08 Place 1
- Brian K. Burns – Nonpartisan
- Caleb E. May – Nonpartisan
Statewide Ballot Measures
Ballot Measure 1:
- Initiative Measure No. 65, Should Mississippi allow qualified patients with debilitating medical conditions, as certified by Mississippi licensed physicians, to use medical marijuana?
- Alternative Measure No. 65 A, Shall Mississippi establish a program to allow the medical use of marijuana products by qualified persons with debilitating medical conditions?
Ballot Measure 2:
House Concurrent Resolution No. 47- Amendment to propose that to be elected Governor, a candidate has to receive a majority of the votes. If no candidate has the majority, there will be a runoff election, under this amendment. This amendment would also remove the requirement of receiving majority votes for House of Representative candidates.
Ballot Measure 3:
House Bill 1796 – Flag Referendum
This ballot measure is a vote to approve or deny the new Mississippi State Flag, as pictured below.
Election Day is November 3rd!
Be sure to make a voting plan, or contact the voting ambassadors at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need help creating one!
For your reference:
- Mississippi Today Election 2020 Guide
- Vote 411 League of Women Voters Guide
- Absentee Ballot Guide (MS)
- State by State Voting Directory
- Sign up for UM voting reminders by texting “@32h83c3” to 81010 or registering at linktr.ee/umoce.
- Sign up for Election Day campus shuttles for Lafayette County voting
- Register for Everybody Loves Lincoln
- Subscribe to our OCE mailing list.